Yankee Brian Roberts. (Update: Signs for $2M+)

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Yankees&src=hash">#Yankees</a> likely to sign free-agent 2B Brian Roberts.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Watch dude is gonna be a beast now.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is just awful. Like Koji with the Red Sox but a million times worse. I don't want to see him in that uniform. Maybe he'll just get hurt in ST in miss the whole year and we can pretend it never happened?

Meh, I'd disagree. Koji was still a viable player. Brian's just about done.

Also, anybody who holds this against Roberts should think before they open their mouth. The Yankees are the only team out there willing to offer him a starting job. Not the Orioles of course, we need to save our marbles for big offseason acquisitions like Grant Balfour.

Only team? Really? Sure about that?

Only team? Really? Sure about that?

I'm speculating but I would be highly surprised if Roberts turned down a better offer from somewhere else, in money, playing time, or playoff aspirations. The Yankees are certainly his #1 option to start on a playoff contending team. Who else is even in the market for a 2B? Ellis just signed to be a potentially part-time player with Wong in STL. Roberts has a better situation than that with NYY, with Johnson his only competition and he's likely to be playing alot of 3B.

I am not sure what the Yankees are going for here?

Oldest opening day infield?

Most overpaid opening day infield?

Most days on DL?

I hate DD's strategy of sitting on his hands while everyone gets signed, but if the Yankees give him $6 or $7 million they deserve what is coming.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Maybe a poor approach by Cowser, but maybe also a change in approach by pitchers with RISP and higher leverage situations? In those cases pitchers may be more willing to allow a walk, which means a lot of offspeed. In lower pressure situations Cowser may be getting more fastballs? I expect Cowser is going to be a 30 K% guy and always have whiff issues on offspeed. I’m sure he’s working on adjustments, but it’s such a glaring hole in his game that it’s not going to go away. He’s only going to be successful if he can do damage on fastballs and do a good enough job of laying off offspeed to get himself in favorable counts, and take walks when pitchers don’t throw him fastballs. He probably needs to actually get more patient in the pressure situations, rather than chase offspeed because he’s trying to put the ball in play and dig himself into bad counts. The flip side is that Cowser does crush fastballs, and he has a good eye. He’d really benefit from the automated strike zone. But I don’t think he’s ever going to be the guy you want at the plate when you just want a ball in play. 
    • Yep, but Seattle also is 23rd in runs scored per game at 3.82.  And, their team ERA is much better at home (2.83) than on the road (4.02). So, if we win a couple of low-scoring squeakers this weekend, I’ll try not to complain too much about the lack of offense.  
    • I think we gotta start letting a SP go up to 100-105 pitches. I cant remember anyone hitting 100 so far this year. Hopefully if the starters can give us a little more length, we wont be so reliant on a worn out bullpen. 
    • BB-ref shows pickoffs at the major league level, and distinguishes between pure pickoffs and pickoffs/caught stealing.  Unfortunately, they don’t track pickoffs for minor leaguers.    There are 15 major leaguers who’ve been picked off at least twice this year.  Ronald Acuña Jr. has been picked off 4 times, Jake McCarthy 3.    BB-ref also tracks outs made on the bases by plays such as: “out advancing on a fly ball, out attempting to reach another base on a hit, doubled off on a line drive, or out attempting to advance on a wild pitch or passed ball.”  Nolan Schanuel leads that category with 5 OOBs, and there are another 9 guys with 4.   So, I’m not sweating the one instance I know of where Bradfield was out trying to stretch a double into a triple.   All the major league data I cited can be found here.  
    • FWIW I do believe the White Sox are motivated to move him, as they're in a rebuild.
    • Cano’s nickname should be El Gato.
    • He's making $12.5 this year and $15 million next season. He'll make $20 million in 2026 & 2027, as a team option.  That's not chump change.  Again, a risky option to acquire him, though if he doesn't perform, we can let him walk after next season.
  • Popular Contributors